Star Trek 2 Villain Will Be "Original" Says Producer
12.22.11 by Ryan
While very few details have been revealed about the highly anticipated sequel of Star Trek 2, there has been non-stop online speculation about the movie's villain. Much of the talk revolves around a reprisal of Khan Noonien Singh, who was memorably played by Ricardo Montalbán in a 1967 episode of the original Star Trek series episode and again in the 1982 movie sequel Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Khan had been mentioned as the possible villain for years, with Star Trek screenwriter Roberto Orci stoking the Khan rumor fire by revealing in 2009 that Khan's chances of showing up in the sequel were "50/50."
When Benicio del Toro (Traffic) was confirmed to be director J.J. Abrams' favorite to play the villain in Star Trek 2, the Khan rumors would not die down, even after Abrams publicly stated that any reports of del Toro playing Khan were "not true". Once del Toro dropped out of the sequel and
Édgar Ramírez (Carlos, Vantage Point) became the frontrunner to replace del Toro (Jordi Mollà is also reportedly being considered), the Khan rumors again surfaced. This is perhaps because the background of the actors being considered for the villain role are, like Montalbán, Hispanic, despite the fact that Khan, as a character, was from India.
Perhaps now the Khan rumors will settle down, as Star Trek producer Bryan Burk recently told MTV (via TrekWeb) the most deflating comments yet about the Khan rumors (well, perhaps not as pointedly deflating as "not true" was meant to be), declaring the villain will be "original and unique".
There are amazing villains all throughout the Star Trek universe, as well as new villains as we did in the last film. There are a lot of directions we can go in the film and in this particular case we chose to do something that we thought would be original and unique and different and, again, on paper, I think we made the right choice so now we have to go shoot it.
Whether that will quiet the fan speculation over Khan remains to be seen, but Burk was also asked about the movie's story. Though Burk could not get too specific, he did reveal that the sequel will "jump right in" and will be a "mad dash at the beginning."
What's exciting about it is, unlike the last film where we were restarting and resetting up all the characters, for the people that saw the last film, we are going to jump right back in and we don’t have to set up everybody again and we can go right into it. For those who haven’t seen it, go get it right now. But if you don't, you'll be able to reset it up very quickly and you'll know who all the characters are. So we are kind of in a mad dash at the beginning of the film. In all of our conversations we reference a lot of our favorite films and like how The Empire Strikes Back was so spectacular in how they were able to pick up immediately and carry on from the last one.
In August, Abrams made similar comments, revealing that the sequel "has to be a movie that stands on its own" and that it would be "about starting over and at the same time, you really want to make sure you hold onto things that worked in the first one."
What we know for sure is that Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zachary Quinto), Bones (Karl Urban) and the rest of Enterprise crew will be back, and that includes Admiral Pike (Bruce Greenwood). Orci recently commented on TrekWeb that he and fellow screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof had written the former Enterprise captain a role in the sequel.
Spoiler alert! We wrote a part for Greenwood. Let us hope he says "Yes!"
Greenwood admitted in July of 2010 that he was "hustling" for Pike to return in Star Trek 2, so we have a feeling he will say yes as Orci hopes. Since Pike ended up in a wheelchair by the end of Star Trek, what size role Greenwood would have to play in the sequel is unknown — as unknown as the villain, the plot, and everything else about Star Trek 2. We'll all find out on May 17, 2013, when Star Trek 2 is released.