Superman: Doomsday Tops the Comic-to-DVD Market
06.05.09 by BJSprecher
The explosion in comic book-related films in the last few years isn't confined to the big screen, or to live action. Both of the "big two" comic book publishers, DC Comics and Marvel Comics, have released a number of high-quality direct-to-DVD animated features based upon their characters.
While Marvel Comics may be the king of the comic book rack, DC Comics is the champion in comic book-related animated DVD sales, according to The-Numbers.com:
1. Superman: Doomsday - 9.4 million
2. Batman: Gotham Knight - 8.0 million
3. Ultimate Avengers 2 - 7.8 million
4. Ultimate Avengers - 6.7 million
5. Hulk Vs. - 5.4 million
6. Invincible Iron Man - 5.2 million
7. Justice League: The New Frontier - 5.2 million
8. Dr. Strange - 3.9 million
9. Wonder Woman - 3.4 million
10. Next Avengers - 2.9 million
Marvel's next animated release is Thor, designed to raise interest in the character slated for a live-action feature film in 2010. DC is releasing the animated origin story Green Lantern: First Flight in July.