Matthew Vaughn Explains X-Men: First Class Cast Photo; Reveals Magneto
01.20.11 by Ryan
The first (supposedly official) photo for X-Men: First Class was released earlier this week, revealing most of the cast in yellow and blue X-Men outfits. Fox asked some outlets to pull the photo, calling it "unauthorized." Director Matthew Vaughn told Slashfilm that Fox started pulling the photo after he angrily called the studio.
I freaked out on them yesterday. I don’t know where the hell that came from. I don’t think it’s a Fox image. It’s not a pre-approved image. When I found out, I said, what the f**k is this s**t, and Fox is running around trying to figure out what happened as well. I agree. It’s like a bad photoshop, which maybe it was by someone. It didn’t reflect the movie. I was shocked when I saw it. I was like, "Jesus Christ"...
Vaughn explained that the costumes worn by the characters go back to the original costumes from the Marvel comic book.
The costumes are blue and yellow as well, because f**k it, lets take it back it the original. Also, by the way, those costumes are hardly in the movie. The main costumes are like these cool 60’s James Bond...
For those that balked at the photo, Vaughn assured those fans that he wasn't "bastardizing X-Men" as he is a "fan" of the comic book. "I’m trying to get them back to being whole again," admitted the director. Vaughn also supplied the site with two new photos, one of Michael Fassbender in costume as Magneto, and another photo of James McAvoy as Charles "Professor X" Xavier, presumably using his telepathic powers.
X-Men: First Class is still currently shooting, even though the movie opens on June 3. More photos were released this week that included a first look at Kevin Bacon as villain Sebastian Shaw and a cast photo that excluded costumes.