Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton, the screenwriters for Saw IV, Saw V, and the upcoming Saw VI, spoke to ShockTilYouDrop about the project at San Diego Comic-Con and, despite the fact that a sequel has already been announced, Melton claims Saw VI will feel resolved:
Part four was too confusing, part five wasn't confusing enough and this one hits the mark right in the middle. We have a really good 'A' story which makes all of the Tobin Bell flashbacks feel organic and not forced. There's good pacing and finally there's a resolution. Finally. Six could be done and that's it, there could be no more. In terms of the John Kramer storyline, we put a nice bow on it. It's fulfilling for people, I think.
Melton and Dunstan will be back to write Saw VII with David Hackl, who helmed Saw V, returning to direct. While details on Saw VII are minimal at this point, Dunstan says that VI will tackle some contemporary issues:
It's also timely. There are a couple of elements to the story that take advantage of our current climate.
If the latest "Wheel of Death" clip is evidence, Dunstan and Melton have certainly gone political. WARNING: This clip is not appropriate for work, so if you're not at home enjoy this new teaser trailer instead: Posted 07.28.09 by Ryan
A new "motion" poster has arrived online for the latest sequel in Liongate's Saw franchise, just in time for the news of Saw VII's writing team.
Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton — the screenwriters behind not only the upcoming Saw VI, but Saw IV and V as well — will return to write Saw VII. The franchise is supposedly set to continue for a total of nine movies, not eight as Tobin Bell speculated.
Dunstan could direct the next Saw, after helming the upcoming horror thriller The Collector, which he and Melton wrote.
Saw VI creeps into theaters on October 23. It was directed by Kevin Gruetert, who was previously an editor on the series. Posted 07.22.09 by Ryan
After four straight successes for the Saw franchise and a fifth seemingly in the bag, some surprising reports are emerging that Saw VI may be delayed, or might not even happen. These reports contradict other Saw news.
In an interview with Screens and Tech, Tobin Bell says he "wouldn't be surprised if it went further" before adding "if the fans want more, it means there's a market for more."
Other online reports have indicated that a Saw VI and VII were already greenlit and in pre-production, although producers were reluctant to offer confirmation at the recent round of press tours for Saw V.
Saw IV's box office take was down slightly from Saw III, but considering the average budget on III, IV, and V was in the meager $10 million range, ending the franchise would make little sense financially.
One final indicator that would seem to contradict emerging reports: The new VH1 reality show Scream Queens, co-hosted by Saw star Shawnee Smith, has contestants competing for the grand prize of a part in Saw VI. Posted 10.22.08 by reelz
In what has now become an annual event for horror movie fans, the indomitable Saw franchise will unveil its fifth chapter in October, with a host of grisly new traps awaiting the victims of Hoffman (Costas Mandylor), the devious protégé of deceased Saw villain Jigsaw. The latest installment has Hoffman scrambling to close loose ends (i.e., kill a lot of people) when the secret of Jigsaw's torturous ways is on the verge of being exposed.
Thankfully, Saw V looks to be a bit less perplexing than its predecessors, which constantly jumped around the story's narrative timeline in an effort to keep fans guessing. "This film is far less confusing and more linear, and there are TWO great twists," Saw V producer Marc Berg told horror fansite Bloody-Disgusting yesterday. "Just when you thought you figured it out, we twist again. We bring in some new characters that you really get to know... we bring in some peripheral characters that play out in Saw VI - the people that you think will live… not a chance!"
Source: Bloody-Disgusting Posted 05.15.08 by reelz
Boy, this Julie Benz girl must really love herself some gore. After playing Stallone's missionary eye candy earlier this year in Rambo, ("The most violent movie ever made," according to its writer/director) the Dexter alum now reportedly signed on for Saw V, the latest installmant of the lionsgate's indomitable torture-porn franchise. According to The Hollywood Reporter, production on Saw V began last week in Toronto with an eye toward an October 24th release later this year. Yeah, they crank these puppies out pretty quick.
Benz can next be seen in the (presumably ultra-violent) The Punisher: War Zone, which opens September 12th.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Posted 03.26.08 by reelz
No, Slaughter is not a biopic based on the seminal early '90s hair metal band responsible for such awesomely craptastic hits as "Up All Night" and "Fly to the Angels"; it's a new horror pic starring current reigning scream queens Shawnee Smith (Saw II, Saw III, and presumably Saw IV through XVII), Erica Leerhsen (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and AnnaLynne McCord (Day of the Dead). According to The Hollywood Reporter, all three have signed on for the flick, in which they'll play "actresses unknowingly cast in a Japanese snuff film."
Which begs the question: how many actresses are knowingly cast in snuff films? Do they hold auditions for these things? I can't say I've ever overheard an out-of-work actor say, "Man, I really hope I get that Japanese snuff film I auditioned for." Posted 11.08.07 by reelz
It seems that a horror fan's thirst for blood simply cannot be quenched. Not only is there going to be a Saw V and Saw VI (mind you, we're not even on Saw IV yet), but a director has signed on for them.
BloodyDisgusting.com is reporting that David Hackl, second unit director for Saw II and Saw IV, has signed to direct the fifth and sixth in the series.
And may the gore-fest begin. Posted 07.18.07 by reelz