Top 10 Sci-Fi Cops
Come Friday, the future of law enforcement will have a new face, er, chin, as Kiwi actor Karl Urban (Star Trek) brings Britain's greatest comic book character to life on the big screen in director Pete Travis' (Vantage Point, Endgame) Dredd. Tell us who you think the top 10 Sci-Fi cops are...
- Blade Runner (1982)Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) hunts down and "retires" rogue artificial humans known as Replicants who have come to Earth seeking more "life."
- RoboCop (1987)Alex Murphy (Peter Weller) dies in the line of duty and is resurrected as a cyborg to clean up the streets of future Detroit in Paul Verhoeven's classic original.
- Minority Report (2002)John Anderton (Tom Cruise) is the chief of the controversial new PreCrime police force that uses psychic predictions to stop crimes before they are committed. That is, until the psychics predict he will murder someone.
- Men in Black (1997)Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) recruits a young, athletic partner (Will Smith) to help him monitor the aliens secretly living among us.
- Demolition Man (1993)John Spartan (Sylvester Stallone) is brought out of suspended animation to hunt down a dangerous criminal (Wesley Snipps) in a non-violent future society.
- I, Robot (2004)Del Spooner (Will Smith) suspects that a renowned robot scientist's suicide might have been a murder and uncovers a disturbing plot to control humanity.
- Judge Dredd (1995)Dredd (Sylvester Stallone) battles a rogue Judge in this hugely disappointing adaptation directed by Danny Cannon.
- Green Lantern (2011)Cocky test pilot Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds) is recruited by a dying alien to become an intergalactic super-cop.
- Outland (1981)William O'Niel (Sean Connery) attempts to stop the proliferation of a dangerous drug on a titanium ore mining outpost on a moon of Jupiter.
- Alien Nation (1988)Human detective Matthew Sykes (James Caan) is forced to team up with alien detective Samuel Francisco (Mandy Patinkin) to investigate a murder of a "Newcomer."
- Honorable Mention
- Timecop (1994)Max Walker (Jean-Claude Van Damme) travels through time to prevent a wealthy politician from buying the presidency.
- District B13 (2004)Damien Tomaso (Cyril Raffaelli) goes undercover to infiltrate an extremely dangerous borough of future Paris to disarm a neutron bomb.
- Soylent Green (1973)Robert Thorn (Charlton Heston) makes a startling discovery about a popular new food item while investigating the murder of a powerful businessman.
- Replicant (2001)Jake Riley (Michael Rooker) works with a clone (Jean-Claude Van Damme) of a maniacal serial killer (also Jean-Claude Van Damme) to help put an end to the killer's rampage.
- A Scanner Darkly (2006)Bob Arctor (Keanu Reeves) goes deep undercover to discover the source of a highly addictive and destructive drug called Substance D.